Understanding and treating sex addiction.
Sex addiction is based in a world of fantasy and is a highly personal and complicated addiction. Sex addictions need treatment in order to prevent more chaos, destruction, and emptiness. Accepting a diagnosis of sex addict could be overwhelming and challenging for any individual. The sexual compulsive behaviour will be treated at our treatment centre in Wasaga Beach, By our expert team of professionals.
Sex Addiction Symptoms
- chronic, obsessive sexual thoughts and fantasies
- compulsive relations with multiple partners, including strangers
- lying to cover behaviors
- preoccupation with having sex, even when it interferes with daily life, productivity, work performance, and so on
- inability to stop or control the behaviors
- putting oneself or others in danger due to sexual behavior
- feeling remorse or guilt after sex
- experiencing other negative personal or professional consequences
- Compulsive behaviors can strain relationships, for example, with the stress of infidelity — although some people may claim to have a sex addiction as a way to explain infidelity in a relationship.
Sex Addiction Treatment Methods
Inpatient treatment programs
At Metamorphosis centre for change we offer sex addiction treatment. Often, people with a sex addiction are removed from their normal daily lives for at least 4 weeks to help them regain control of their impulses and start healing. Our program includes a in-depth individual and group therapy sessions.
Cognitive behavioral therapy
This type of therapy can help a person identify triggers for sexual impulses and ultimately teach them how to alter behaviors. This is achieved through one-on-one sessions with our licensed mental health therapist.
Programs such as Sex Addicts Anonymous (SAA) follow the same recovery model as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). They can be very helpful for addressing sex addiction.
Members aren’t required to give up sex entirely, but they are encouraged to refrain from compulsive and destructive sexual behavior. Group meetings with others addressing the same challenges provide a good support system.
Some people may benefit from a course of drug therapy. Certain antidepressants might help alleviate urges (which is separate from the potential side effects of some antidepressants that can cause decreased libido or impair other aspects of the sexual experience).